MBP’s sustainability approach
Protecting the environment has been part of the ideological back bone of MBP Solutions since the company was founded in 1999.
We take huge pride in identifying products that are normally considered as waste or a by-product from production and – by understanding the potential of this by-product – we will find its optimal application. By doing this, MBP not only reduces the waste generated in society but also reduces the consumption of primary raw material, as our by-product based products will often substitute the primary raw materials.
Since 2017 MBP Solutions LTD has been committed to the UN Global Compact corporate responsibility initiative and its principles in the areas of human rights, labour, environment and anti-corruption. In November 2018 MBP Solutions submitted the first Communication on Progress.
Sustainability has been part of our ideological backbone since the beginning, as our organisation captures and delivers value in economic, environmental and social terms. Our business brings to life the concepts of industrial ecology and circular economy by materialising the idea that the waste stream of one industry can be used as a key resource by another. The report focuses on our performance, challenges and opportunities and it covers MBP’s entire organisation, including administrative offices, industrial facilities and sourcing operations.
Since the foundation of the company, these are the principles that have always inspired the MBP Group’s approach to sustainability:
• Through our activities we shall strive to add value to waste and by-products in order to reduce the negative impact that these streams may have through land-filling or other types of disposal. At the same time we will reduce the consumption of primary resources by substituting primary raw material with value added by-products
• We prioritize good housekeeping and the preservation of natural resources in order to contribute to a sustainable society
• We will always, at the very least, comply with the environmental requirements imposed by current legislation and regulations
• Environmental work is an integrated and natural part of our daily work
• Our environmental management system drives a way of working in which we constantly strive to develop and improve ourselves
• We work towards making employees, customers and suppliers aware of general environmental issues and the issues which apply specifically to the products we manufacture
• Our product development work views the product from the perspective of its entire life cycle and seeks solutions with a low impact on the environment
• The environmental aspects are always taken into account when investing in production equipment and production methods.
Sustainability in our areas of business
Biofuels, bioliquids and biomethane substrates
MBP has been built on the principles of sustainability and seeking to add as much value as possible to industrial by-products. Since 2012 MBP has supplied the market with biofuels and bioliquids certified according to the EU Renewable Energy Directive (RED) standards. Currently MBP is certified according to RSB (the Roundtable for Sustainable Biomaterials), as well as according to ISCC (International Sustainability and Carbon Certification), both RED voluntary schemes. This certification allow us to prove that our biofuels, bioliquids, and substrates for biomethane are sustainable. It also allows our customers to qualify for tax exemptions and other incentive schemes in the bioenergy sector.
In MBP we always have in mind the enormous importance of the right use of natural resources. Aquaculture is a very sensitive area of business where sustainability plays a very relevant and increasingly important role.
In this sector MBP provides fish oils in conformance with the Aquaculture Stewardship Council Standard (ASC) and we are currently in the process of securing two further related sustainability standards: MSC Chain of Custody and IFFO RS Chain of Custody.
Would you like to know more?
The circular economy is characterized by Production, Recycle and Recovery where the whole system is designed in order to minimize waste and keep the materials in use for as long as possible.